Friday, December 11, 2009

The Only Constant is Change

If there's one thing that's true about radio, it's that you seldom get to say goodbye. For instance, in my life I've worked at seven stations and never been given the chance to do a last show. Management just doesn't like the “final show” idea.

That's what makes AccuRadio, Inc., the company behind UltraSmoothJazz.com, an employer unlike any other I've encountered in my career in broadcasting, and it's entirely in a good way. Take, for example, the fact that they're allowing me the chance to put up this final blog, knowing it's my opportunity to say goodbye.

Recently, I received an offer to program and host the midday show on WLFM 87.7, the over-the-air radio station which replaced WNUA 95.5 as Chicago's Smooth Jazz station this past May. The opportunity was, quite simply, too good to pass up.

My voice and name will slowly disappear from the site over the next few weeks. However, because of a unique arrangement between my current and future bosses, I will continue to program the music at this site. I will still be here but behind the scenes, making sure the music remains true to our original vision for the site when we launched UltraSmoothJazz.com this past June. UltraSmoothJazz.com isn't going away.

Last but definitely not least, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to every listener who's discovered us during the past six months. The support and encouragement Kurt Hanson, President of Accuradio, and I received along the way were remarkable and indicated to us that we were doing something right. You made the entire endeavor worthwhile. The countless emails, phone calls and comments in the Shoutbox were an incredible motivator. Please keep 'em coming and know that we take every one seriously.

Thank you for listening. To you and your family, we wish you all the blessings of a wonderful holiday season.

Rick O'Dell

Operations Manager – Smooth Jazz

Rick@accuradio.com

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! Rick, Glad to have you back on Chicago radio hopefully you guys can start a listeners choice again! Happy Holidays!

    Doug Compton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a brand new smooth jazz mix show you may have interest in.
    Here's another brand New Mix:
    Here's what I mean:
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/777683456275e482/
    Just copy and paste to your browser
    By the way, if you listen to this kind of music and you like the MIX ,please tell others!
    I just think Will Downing mixed with Joe Sample, mixed with Toni Braxton, mixed with Richard Elliot, mixed with Bob Baldwin, mixed with Jaheim, mixed with Pleasure, mixed with Jeff Lorber, mixed with Guru, may attract listeners!!
    Peace!
    Donald.
    P.S. For more smooth jazz mixes, log on to www.smoothjazzmixes.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an outstanding opportunity. Your readers will miss you but this is great that you have taken advantage of this new position. The very best.

    Jazz Music

    ReplyDelete

  ©Ultra Smooth Jazz. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO